Thursday, September 1, 2011

What does it mean to be a reader?

To be a reader doesn’t mean just to be someone who skims their eyes back and forth across the paper over and over and flips the page every once in a while. You can force someone to read something, as a teacher can require a class to read a book they’re really uninterested in. However, you can’t force a person to actually learn something, be entertained, or finish with a new insight into life. To be able to call someone a reader, that person must be able to refer to themselves a reader. They must want to read, to be interested in a text, and have the desire to gain something from it. If one didn’t learn anything from what they “read,” then they might as well have not even bothered. Therefore, they should not be called a reader.
                On multiple occasions I have been required to read books, poems, or essays for class. Most of the time I understand and I am completely interested. However, at times I can’t focus on the text, or even relate to it. If a writer wants a reader to be able to relate to their work, should I be called a reader on those occasions? I would have to say not. To be called a reader, one must want to and be able to fully understand and potentially gain knowledge or insight from the words on that page.
                I greatly enjoy to read. I deeply enjoy being entertained, learning new things, and gaining new insights, opinions, and perspectives. Reading gives my mind exercise. One can definitely lable me as a reader, even outside the classroom assignments. However, much of the reading I do is non-fiction, as it is a great challenge for me to find a fiction novel that I actually become interested in. It’s even become difficult to become committed to a book lately, as I have large amounts of homework and extracurricular activities. Therefore, I find it practical to read non-fiction, whether it be a newspaper, bibliography, or even a book full of facts. I feel as if I can relate better to non-fiction, as it applies to life and isn’t just a story that stays on the page. I feel as if I can be more confident in calling myself a reader when I read nonfiction.
                Everyone enjoys their own form of entertainment, and everyone enjoys to read different things. While one may enjoy a comic book, someone else may enjoy to read the dictionary itself. I believe that as long as one is engulfed in the text or at least following along and retaining the information within,  no matter it’s title, they should be able to be called a reader. Becoming a reader is much more challenging for some people. Some struggle to read a novel within a month while some can read one a day. Whether we choose to use it or not, the ability to become a reader is a privilege that we can take advantage of to be entertained, learned new concepts, and gain knowledge that you may not be able to get from anyone else. Y ou can learn almost anything from a book. If you are ready to become a reader, do it. If you are ready to learn something, it’s out there. You can be a reader only if you choose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment